Over the Thanksgiving holiday, my extended family and I are headed to Israel to celebrate the bar Mitzvah of our son Jack. This has been a dream of mine and I can’t believe it’s actually happening. While the logistics are more or less taken care of, I have not begun pack which is looming over me big time. I know the major packing will get done but not without lots of drama in the process. As for the carry on, I look at this as my survival kit for the 10 hour flight.
For some, long flights might be anxiety provoking, but I try to make the most of this uninterrupted time and plan ahead to use the time efficiently. I catch up on things that don’t make it to my day to day schedule, like sleep haha. Seriously, here is a list of suggestions for making the time “fly” by and hopefully you’ll land with the feeling you’ve accomplished something.
- Meditating is the perfect way to begin any flight. It helps to relax and makes for a peaceful mindset. Omharmonics and Calm are two of my favorite apps.
- Catch up on work – for me that means writing posts for my blog.
- Begin reading that book that has been sitting on your night table for months. It will make beach reading easier to get in to.
- Organize photos on your i phone or lap top. You can even create an album if you’re feeling super motivated.
- Eating is always a main event. I like to bring my own food which is mostly eaten by take off. There is always some sort of protein and GG crackers a la FFactor.
- If the mood suits you, have a cocktail which can help you relax and take the edge off. I usually don’t drink on planes because I prefer to drink in a social setting. Give me a few drinks, and I might just end up like Kristen Wiig in Bridesmaids.
- I binge read magazines which gives me inspiration for my personal and professional life. My poor husband literally carries the load and is quick to note, before we met, he traveled hands free.
- I also take this time to look at the month ahead and organize my schedule and create any to do list.
- Crosswords are a great way to zone out and relax.
- Come bed time, I may live wildly and pop a melatonin to catch a few zzz’s.
How do you make the most of your flight? Please comment below with any suggestions.
Shop my flying essentials here: