My closet is my sanctuary. It’s where the magic happens and therefore I take pride in its appearance.
Everything is color coded from light to dark and grouped by category – i.e. jeans, pants, skirts and dresses. Compulsive? Perhaps, but it keeps things organized, is visually appealing and it makes it easier to zero in on something specific.
Check out a few of my closet organization tips:
- 99.9% of my hangers are all uniform and they all MUST face in the same direction. Hangers that come from the cleaners are stored and used to pack for vacation.
- Delicate fabrics such as leather and velvet that are hung on skirt hangers, have an extra piece of material under the clasp to prevent dents.
- Sweaters are folded, color coded and are obviously sorted from thick to thin.
- Storing shoes requires a little creativity as storage is limited (or is it??). A great space saver is to have each pair of shoe facing in opposite directions. In addition, this allows you to check out the heel height. For shoes that don’t make it to front and center, they’re stored in boxes with a polaroid image on the front for easy identification.
- Good lighting is a must, though I am still lacking in this area.
- I keep a collapsable step stool under my bed for hard to reach items.
- I rotate my wardrobe seasonally and simultaneously edit out what needs to say bye bye.
Here is a peek into my inner sanctum.