Each season, I look forward to summers at the Jersey Shore. I love its white beautiful beaches, laid back atmosphere, and more recent nouveau hipster vibe. During this two month vacation (of sorts), I especially take the opportunity to indulge in seven of my favorite sinful treats that Jersey does best…
1. Hands down the freshest, most perfect bagels can be found at The Hot Bagel Bakery in Oakhurst. They are crispy on the outside and soft and doughy on the inside. If you arrive at the shop early enough, you will have the heavenly pleasure of purchasing them hot out of the oven. Oh, and the smell of these bagels will kill you…they’re just that good.
2. Another sinful treat that I can’t stay away from are corn muffins from, you wont believe this, Stop and Shop! These blissful sweets which usually blow out by noon are extremely addictive and also prepared fresh daily.
3. This summer I got turned on to corn nuts which are sold by the container at Sarah’s Tent, a Middle Eastern specialty store in Deal. I typically serve this salty roasted and crunchy snack by the bar. Don’t think you can just stop after a handful. Yummy Yum Yum!
4. I always make sure to stop by the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, located at the Pier Village in Long Branch for my white chocolate covered pretzel fix. No one does it better.
5. I’ve been a huge fan of Criterion Candies salt water taffies since I was a young’n. The company, circa 1929, offers these chewy treats in a variety of flavors and totally satisfies my sweet tooth.
6. Strollo’s Light House Italian Ices is the most famous and favorite of all on the Jersey Shore. The Strollo family has been making ices since the 1930’s and in 1976 the first Light House was opened. What sets these refreshing, deliciously sweet ices apart from the rest is the soft served style in which the ices are served. There are more than 24 flavors and are definitely the most popular treats of summer. My favorite flavors of the moment are peanut butter and vanilla. Mmmmmm.
7. Located in Asbury Park is hot spot Talula’s Pizza which continues to be my go-to for a slice or two. Made in a wood burning oven with high quality sustainably grown ingredients, these gourmet pizza’s have me feeling like the pizza is actually good for me (or so I’d like to think!). The Margie (classic) and the Rocket (fresh ricotta and arugula) are my 2 faves!